Author Topic: How I started collecting & basic philosophy  (Read 5290 times)

• Though I was attracted to medals at an early age, serious collecting only became possible in the internet age, opening up sources and resources, especially those in Europe.  A basic reading knowledge of German, acquired in high school and college and augmented by recent additional study, has helped.  I only started building a collection in 2014.

When I first looked at this site years ago, I was too inexperienced and intimidated to join or post anything, and I felt that those who did were sort of bragging about their collections and displaying things I could never expect to own. 

Now that's changed; I have a lot of what I never dreamed I'd be able to get, but I don't want to seem like I'm bragging about it and thus discouraging starting collectors like I was back then.  I want my posts to inspire others to learn more about the historical and social connotations of medals, but I don't mean for my sometimes obsessive descriptions to intimidate fellow enthusiasts, and I'm willing to share what knowledge I've gained and assist wherever possible.

I'm also glad to accept constructive criticism, questions, contrasting views.  I don't claim to be an expert; I just enjoy research as an adjunct to collecting, and I welcome additional information on anything I've posted.
How I started collecting & basic philosophy
« on: December 09, 2019, 03:37:44 AM »
Though I was attracted to medals at an early age, serious collecting only became possible in the internet age, opening up sources and resources, especially those in Europe.  A basic reading knowledge of German, acquired in high school and college and augmented by recent additional study, has helped.  I only started building a collection in 2014.

When I first looked at this site years ago, I was too inexperienced and intimidated to join or post anything, and I felt that those who did were sort of bragging about their collections and displaying things I could never expect to own. 

Now that's changed; I have a lot of what I never dreamed I'd be able to get, but I don't want to seem like I'm bragging about it and thus discouraging starting collectors like I was back then.  I want my posts to inspire others to learn more about the historical and social connotations of medals, but I don't mean for my sometimes obsessive descriptions to intimidate fellow enthusiasts, and I'm willing to share what knowledge I've gained and assist wherever possible.

I'm also glad to accept constructive criticism, questions, contrasting views.  I don't claim to be an expert; I just enjoy research as an adjunct to collecting, and I welcome additional information on anything I've posted.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 03:47:16 AM by Rabenauge »