Author Topic: Definitive method for K. Goetz authentication?  (Read 5033 times)

• I purchased two (2) medals off eBay that were misattributed and therefore much cheaper than I would have expected.  They did not look like restrikes or counterfeits.

One, K-169 (Gallipoli) has a very fine K.Goetz on the edge. It is very nicely darkly patinaed and very clean. Diameter of 2 3/16" (55.6 mm) which is shy of the 56.8 mm I've seen referenced. 69 g (but my gram scale isn't very good).

The other I have questions about. K-232 (Storms of November) does not have any marking on the edge. It's lighter in color and in weight, and slightly larger than the K-169 above at 2 11/32" (59.5 mm) which matches up nicely with the 59.2 mm referenced.  However, it's only 60 g on my postal scale.

I think the K-169 is authentic given the rim marking, but would no rim marking on the K-232 make it questionable?  I don't have the Keinast reference, so my only references are online.

I'd appreciate any help.

John
Definitive method for K. Goetz authentication?
« on: November 28, 2019, 11:08:03 PM »
I purchased two (2) medals off eBay that were misattributed and therefore much cheaper than I would have expected.  They did not look like restrikes or counterfeits.

One, K-169 (Gallipoli) has a very fine K.Goetz on the edge. It is very nicely darkly patinaed and very clean. Diameter of 2 3/16" (55.6 mm) which is shy of the 56.8 mm I've seen referenced. 69 g (but my gram scale isn't very good).

The other I have questions about. K-232 (Storms of November) does not have any marking on the edge. It's lighter in color and in weight, and slightly larger than the K-169 above at 2 11/32" (59.5 mm) which matches up nicely with the 59.2 mm referenced.  However, it's only 60 g on my postal scale.

I think the K-169 is authentic given the rim marking, but would no rim marking on the K-232 make it questionable?  I don't have the Keinast reference, so my only references are online.

I'd appreciate any help.

John
  • Administrator
  • Hi John,

We can't do much for you without images.  If you could, please attach them to your follow up post to this post.  H

As an aside,  you really need to own a Kienast reference set if you're going to be collecting Goetz.  Just saying.
Re: Definitive method for K. Goetz authentication?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 12:55:33 PM »
Hi John,

We can't do much for you without images.  If you could, please attach them to your follow up post to this post.  H

As an aside,  you really need to own a Kienast reference set if you're going to be collecting Goetz.  Just saying.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 12:58:28 PM by Haarmann »