Author Topic: Chinese/Russian Crap Infiltration  (Read 3069 times)

Chinese/Russian Crap Infiltration
« on: December 10, 2021, 01:56:05 PM »
I guess it was inevitable that these poorly copied Goetz pieces would begin to show up in ill-informed or 'make a euro at any price' auction houses.  This auction house was informed well before auction time that this was obviously not an authentic goetz yet they went ahead and took 85 euro from some novice collector anyway.  This crap sells on Ebay for cheap.

So it begins.

https://www.sixbid.com/en/dr-busso-peus-nachf/8883/deutsche-mnzen-und-medaillen/7489627/mnchen-stadt?term=karl%20Goetz&orderCol=lot_number&orderDirection=asc&priceFrom&displayMode=large&auctionSessions=&sidebarIsSticky=false
  • I saw that and also emailed saying it was a bad reproduction. Makes me wonder the ethics of the auction house.

John
Re: Chinese/Russian Crap Infiltration
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2021, 10:33:59 PM »
I saw that and also emailed saying it was a bad reproduction. Makes me wonder the ethics of the auction house.

John
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2023, 01:51:59 PM »
Here is another in an upcoming Hoehn Auction.  They were made aware of this piece and also Lot 529 listed as Goetz although it is a piece made by Alois Borsch.  Granted, it is mis-attributted in Kienast but clearly marked with 'AS' monogram.

Look at the Putti near the bottom of the reverse and tell me with country he is likely from. 
https://www.sixbid.com/en/leipziger-muenzhandlung-heidrun-hoehn/10587/thematische-medaillen-und-plaketten/9178006/medailleur-goetz-karl-1875-1950?term=Karl%20Goetz&orderCol=lot_number&orderDirection=asc&priceFrom&displayMode=large&auctionSessions=&sidebarIsSticky=false

Be careful out there!
  • Administrator
  • After being notified, Hoehn graciously removed both pieces from the auction.  Kudos to them!
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2023, 12:12:21 PM »
After being notified, Hoehn graciously removed both pieces from the auction.  Kudos to them!