Author Topic: Large Gies Acquisition  (Read 3136 times)

• Global Moderator
    • KarlGoetz.com
  • Hello,
    I'm still smiling even though the auction ended last Fall.  With teeth-gnashing and fortitude I fought through some very spirited bidding at the VIA-Numismatik auction in Vienna, Austria and thus, acquired five new Ludwig Gies pieces.  This collection has been housed in Vienna since it was built in the 1950's.  A beautiful collection of original works with little, if any, evidence of previous handling. 

The premier piece of this material is a 'Lusitania' (WVZ 134) mis-dated to 1914.  It is unique with the only other known piece destroyed in war.  The remaining pieces are a Unique WVZ 71 'On to the Battle'; a Unique WVZ 103 'I Bemoan a German Hero'; a WVZ 111 'Russian Bear'; and a WVZ 159 'German Auxiliary Service'.

I will add these along with their images to the Gies WWI Forum as soon as I get a chance. 
Large Gies Acquisition
« on: April 08, 2023, 02:56:05 PM »
Hello,
I'm still smiling even though the auction ended last Fall.  With teeth-gnashing and fortitude I fought through some very spirited bidding at the VIA-Numismatik auction in Vienna, Austria and thus, acquired five new Ludwig Gies pieces.  This collection has been housed in Vienna since it was built in the 1950's.  A beautiful collection of original works with little, if any, evidence of previous handling. 

The premier piece of this material is a 'Lusitania' (WVZ 134) mis-dated to 1914.  It is unique with the only other known piece destroyed in war.  The remaining pieces are a Unique WVZ 71 'On to the Battle'; a Unique WVZ 103 'I Bemoan a German Hero'; a WVZ 111 'Russian Bear'; and a WVZ 159 'German Auxiliary Service'.

I will add these along with their images to the Gies WWI Forum as soon as I get a chance.