Author Topic: A Jutland/Skagerrak medal enthusiast/researcher  (Read 5099 times)

• In 2017 I became interested in the Battle of Jutland/Skagerrak, especially how both belligerents claimed victory and both sides created several different commemorative medals for the battle.

Two of the medals, one by Paul Liebküchler, the other by H. Lindl, appear to fall in this Secessionist movement.

I am hoping that members here can help in research and information for these specific medals, if not other (non-Secessionist) medals.

Thank you,
    John
A Jutland/Skagerrak medal enthusiast/researcher
« on: January 27, 2019, 01:25:48 PM »
In 2017 I became interested in the Battle of Jutland/Skagerrak, especially how both belligerents claimed victory and both sides created several different commemorative medals for the battle.

Two of the medals, one by Paul Liebküchler, the other by H. Lindl, appear to fall in this Secessionist movement.

I am hoping that members here can help in research and information for these specific medals, if not other (non-Secessionist) medals.

Thank you,
John
  • Global Moderator
    • KarlGoetz.com
  • Hello John,
    Sorry for the long delay in responding.  I just resurrected the forum after a number of years of neglect and disrepair.  I recently retired and now have some time to keep this place moving.  We also have other members that are active and posting regularly to the different artist boards.

I'm pretty sure there are more Jutland/Skagerrak medals out there in addition to the two artists you mentioned, minimally Goetz being one of them.

Get back to us and let us know what's been happening in your world since your last post!  HSG
Re: A Jutland/Skagerrak medal enthusiast/researcher
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2019, 10:17:50 PM »
Hello John,
Sorry for the long delay in responding.  I just resurrected the forum after a number of years of neglect and disrepair.  I recently retired and now have some time to keep this place moving.  We also have other members that are active and posting regularly to the different artist boards.

I'm pretty sure there are more Jutland/Skagerrak medals out there in addition to the two artists you mentioned, minimally Goetz being one of them.

Get back to us and let us know what's been happening in your world since your last post!  HSG
  • Hi John
    I'll shortly be posting a description and image of a Skagerrak medal by Carl Ebbinghaus.  Perhaps you're already aware of it, but if not, I hope you'll find it interesting and may be lucky enough to add it to your collection if you don't already have it.  All the Best!
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 03:20:35 AM »
Hi John
I'll shortly be posting a description and image of a Skagerrak medal by Carl Ebbinghaus.  Perhaps you're already aware of it, but if not, I hope you'll find it interesting and may be lucky enough to add it to your collection if you don't already have it.  All the Best!
  • Hi John

I did find the Ebbinghaus medal after I wrote my opening note.  It's not easy to find a copy for sale.  Did you manage to find one?

John
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2019, 10:22:05 PM »
Hi John

I did find the Ebbinghaus medal after I wrote my opening note.  It's not easy to find a copy for sale.  Did you manage to find one?

John
  • Hello John,

I am curious as to which Goetz medal you attribute to Jutland/Skagerrak, as I have found a total of 7 British, 14 German, and 1 French artist (not all secessionist) with medals attributed, plus two (2) additional German medals that are "maybes": one is for a German Admiral but not Skagerrak-specific, and the other is Eberbach's "Seelord Fischer" Totentanz medal that one source has attributed to Jutland but Fischer wasn't involved at that time, so I find it questionable.

Which Goetz medal do you believe is Skagerrak-related?

John
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2019, 10:26:02 PM »
Hello John,

I am curious as to which Goetz medal you attribute to Jutland/Skagerrak, as I have found a total of 7 British, 14 German, and 1 French artist (not all secessionist) with medals attributed, plus two (2) additional German medals that are "maybes": one is for a German Admiral but not Skagerrak-specific, and the other is Eberbach's "Seelord Fischer" Totentanz medal that one source has attributed to Jutland but Fischer wasn't involved at that time, so I find it questionable.

Which Goetz medal do you believe is Skagerrak-related?

John
  • Global Moderator
    • KarlGoetz.com
  • "Which Goetz medal do you believe is Skagerrak-related?"

Sorry,  Wrong medallion and wrong war... :-[
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2019, 10:49:38 PM »
"Which Goetz medal do you believe is Skagerrak-related?"

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2019, 11:13:07 PM »
"Which Goetz medal do you believe is Skagerrak-related?"

I got excited for a moment.  ;D ;D

John
  • Hi John - sorry for the delayed response.  Yes, the Ebbinghaus Skagerrak medal is in my collection, as are most of the medals I post on this site.  You're right that the medal is rare, as are most of those by Ebbinghaus.  Just by chance, I saw this one listed on eBay: the dealer knew it was German, and knew it was rare, but wrote nothing more about it.  As I'm sure you know, when you research medals a while, you develop many "search images" which serve you well going quickly through multiple listings, so I recognized it immediately, was the sole bidder, and got it for the modest starting price.  Keep an eye on auction sites, especially German sites; sooner or later one may turn up.  All the Best!
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2019, 05:19:48 PM »
Hi John - sorry for the delayed response.  Yes, the Ebbinghaus Skagerrak medal is in my collection, as are most of the medals I post on this site.  You're right that the medal is rare, as are most of those by Ebbinghaus.  Just by chance, I saw this one listed on eBay: the dealer knew it was German, and knew it was rare, but wrote nothing more about it.  As I'm sure you know, when you research medals a while, you develop many "search images" which serve you well going quickly through multiple listings, so I recognized it immediately, was the sole bidder, and got it for the modest starting price.  Keep an eye on auction sites, especially German sites; sooner or later one may turn up.  All the Best!
  • Hi John.  Not sure if you're a collector of British Skagerrak (Jutland) medals, but thought I'd pass along this link to a huge and handsome piece available in Germany: https://www.ma-shops.com/hossfeld/item.php?id=190510012.  Perhaps you've already seen it or have an example.  If you don't read German and need translation assistance, please let me know.  All the Best!
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2019, 04:49:01 PM »
Hi John.  Not sure if you're a collector of British Skagerrak (Jutland) medals, but thought I'd pass along this link to a huge and handsome piece available in Germany: https://www.ma-shops.com/hossfeld/item.php?id=190510012.  Perhaps you've already seen it or have an example.  If you don't read German and need translation assistance, please let me know.  All the Best!