Author Topic: Ebay seller "numismatic-antiquarian"  (Read 14555 times)

• Global Moderator
    • KarlGoetz.com
  • I have noticed over the past year an increasing amount of Goetz material, mostly struck 36mm silver examples, being sold on Ebay from this seller who appears to have an inexhaustible supply of Goetz goods.

Does anyone follow these sales, and if you do, what is your opinion of the material being sold? Has anyone dealt with this seller?
Ebay seller "numismatic-antiquarian"
« on: November 16, 2013, 11:31:06 AM »
I have noticed over the past year an increasing amount of Goetz material, mostly struck 36mm silver examples, being sold on Ebay from this seller who appears to have an inexhaustible supply of Goetz goods.

Does anyone follow these sales, and if you do, what is your opinion of the material being sold? Has anyone dealt with this seller?
  • I haven't noticed these on ebay but I have noticed several Goetz dies on MA Shops for 37mm medals. Don't know if this is the same seller?
Re: Ebay seller "numismatic-antiquarian"
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 02:53:04 AM »
I haven't noticed these on ebay but I have noticed several Goetz dies on MA Shops for 37mm medals. Don't know if this is the same seller?
  • I've never met a neck I didn't like.
  • I wrote to this seller last week that he needed to add evidence of mint marks to the descriptions if they were present.  I also told him about the absence of this mark being a diagnostic for restrikes.  He appears to have added, where appropriate, the mint marks but did not add the requested 'RESTRIKE' to any of the 36mm silver pieces not having the mark.  This means he is still being deceptive.  I don't think he knows much about Goetz and he appears to be selling the medals as a wholesaler for someone in Germany.  Another thing, his prices are at least 2X market value.

Haarmann, or anyone else, not all Goetz silver medals were struck at the Bavarian mint, particularly in Goetz' early Munich days.  Perhaps we could get a list started of medals struck by private mint to clear up any confusion?
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 12:54:33 PM »
I wrote to this seller last week that he needed to add evidence of mint marks to the descriptions if they were present.  I also told him about the absence of this mark being a diagnostic for restrikes.  He appears to have added, where appropriate, the mint marks but did not add the requested 'RESTRIKE' to any of the 36mm silver pieces not having the mark.  This means he is still being deceptive.  I don't think he knows much about Goetz and he appears to be selling the medals as a wholesaler for someone in Germany.  Another thing, his prices are at least 2X market value.

Haarmann, or anyone else, not all Goetz silver medals were struck at the Bavarian mint, particularly in Goetz' early Munich days.  Perhaps we could get a list started of medals struck by private mint to clear up any confusion?
  • Administrator
  • Nosferatu: "Haarmann, or anyone else, not all Goetz silver medals were struck at the Bavarian mint, particularly in Goetz' early Munich days.  Perhaps we could get a list started of medals struck by private mint to clear up any confusion?"

We'll add this task to our list but anyone else with Goetz knowledge can help.  I do believe most of the privately struck material was in his earlier days in Munich but there are also some outliers evident throughout his career.

Back to the topic at hand.  It appears this Ebay seller is using images directly taken from WAG or WAG-O auctions in Germany.  Anyone following this company can easily note the distinct, and consistent, image quality and appearance.  He also adds his Ebay ID to the images.  His 'own' material images are poor in comparison.  So what does this mean?  Do you get what you see, or are you making buying decisions based on 'stock' images from another company?  I have had several people email me and mention that they think this seller is probably a sales outlet for WAG/WAG-O since he apparently does not possess the material (until after it's sold and forwarded to him by someone else.)  This unto itself is not against the law but why not admit to it when asked instead of coming up with stories about sending the customer's 'winning item' to the wrong address?

If Nosferatu contacted the seller about material not having the requisite 'mint stamp' then why hasn't the seller corrected the error and made note that these are in fact later strikes?  You would also think that if this seller is indeed selling for WAG/WAG-O then why are they using a middleman to sell the later strikes?  This company has been around for many years and should obviously know that these later strikes are not 'real'.

Is it interesting to anyone else that the company who consigned the Goetz dies and hubs to Heritage could also be using a proxy to sell later strikes, primarily WW2, to unsuspecting Ebay buyers?
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 01:34:21 PM »
Nosferatu: "Haarmann, or anyone else, not all Goetz silver medals were struck at the Bavarian mint, particularly in Goetz' early Munich days.  Perhaps we could get a list started of medals struck by private mint to clear up any confusion?"

We'll add this task to our list but anyone else with Goetz knowledge can help.  I do believe most of the privately struck material was in his earlier days in Munich but there are also some outliers evident throughout his career.

Back to the topic at hand.  It appears this Ebay seller is using images directly taken from WAG or WAG-O auctions in Germany.  Anyone following this company can easily note the distinct, and consistent, image quality and appearance.  He also adds his Ebay ID to the images.  His 'own' material images are poor in comparison.  So what does this mean?  Do you get what you see, or are you making buying decisions based on 'stock' images from another company?  I have had several people email me and mention that they think this seller is probably a sales outlet for WAG/WAG-O since he apparently does not possess the material (until after it's sold and forwarded to him by someone else.)  This unto itself is not against the law but why not admit to it when asked instead of coming up with stories about sending the customer's 'winning item' to the wrong address?

If Nosferatu contacted the seller about material not having the requisite 'mint stamp' then why hasn't the seller corrected the error and made note that these are in fact later strikes?  You would also think that if this seller is indeed selling for WAG/WAG-O then why are they using a middleman to sell the later strikes?  This company has been around for many years and should obviously know that these later strikes are not 'real'.

Is it interesting to anyone else that the company who consigned the Goetz dies and hubs to Heritage could also be using a proxy to sell later strikes, primarily WW2, to unsuspecting Ebay buyers?
  • Administrator
  • Just out of the blue today I noticed that  "numismatic-antiquarian" was "no longer a registered member" at Ebay.  With a little sleuthing it appears this seller has renamed his Ebay shop under the member name 'Imperial Investment'.  He's still trying to sell WAG-O Goetz material at 3X+ market values. 

After seven years under one name, why would they all of a sudden change to a new name?  I'm also interested in how a member can change names while retaining their original enrollment date of their first identity and keeping all of the feedback count and info intact.  Anybody know how this works?  I was sure Ebay required a fresh slate when changing your Ebay ID.

As a reminder, be careful buying from this ID as there are obvious restrikes, as well as recasts, neither of which were done by Karl or while he was alive.  If you want examples, ask, and I will point out a few for you.
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 12:10:24 AM »
Just out of the blue today I noticed that  "numismatic-antiquarian" was "no longer a registered member" at Ebay.  With a little sleuthing it appears this seller has renamed his Ebay shop under the member name 'Imperial Investment'.  He's still trying to sell WAG-O Goetz material at 3X+ market values. 

After seven years under one name, why would they all of a sudden change to a new name?  I'm also interested in how a member can change names while retaining their original enrollment date of their first identity and keeping all of the feedback count and info intact.  Anybody know how this works?  I was sure Ebay required a fresh slate when changing your Ebay ID.

As a reminder, be careful buying from this ID as there are obvious restrikes, as well as recasts, neither of which were done by Karl or while he was alive.  If you want examples, ask, and I will point out a few for you.
  • I notice on both Ebay and MA Shops that there is the same medal K-86 being sold the Sherlock in me noticed the "hair" on both photo's.

It seems Pater in Germany is dealing with Imperial of Brae in the Shetlands(Scotland) The quality of the medals is high but they are just too good to be true and the prices are very high.
    Haarmann I accept your observations of this dealer even though he has a very acceptable feedback score. Something is not right.

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 01:22:07 PM »
I notice on both Ebay and MA Shops that there is the same medal K-86 being sold the Sherlock in me noticed the "hair" on both photo's.

It seems Pater in Germany is dealing with Imperial of Brae in the Shetlands(Scotland) The quality of the medals is high but they are just too good to be true and the prices are very high.
Haarmann I accept your observations of this dealer even though he has a very acceptable feedback score. Something is not right.

• Administrator
  • Redmikey,  Did you or anyone else notice that after this watchdog post was created this seller deleted/transferred his U.S. Ebay account "numismatic-antiquarian" to the British Ebay account "Imperial Investment" where they now sell exclusively?  First of all, I didn't know Ebay allowed businesses to change their name and Ebay location while still maintaining their feedback and sales count.  It seems some of the unregistered visitor activity here on the site was probably them reading this thread and they felt some heat.

The seller is still acting mum about medals not exhibiting the mint edge-stamp.  95% of these are coming out of WAG/WAG-O.  This guy is just another outlet to sell these after strikes.
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 12:08:42 AM »
Redmikey,  Did you or anyone else notice that after this watchdog post was created this seller deleted/transferred his U.S. Ebay account "numismatic-antiquarian" to the British Ebay account "Imperial Investment" where they now sell exclusively?  First of all, I didn't know Ebay allowed businesses to change their name and Ebay location while still maintaining their feedback and sales count.  It seems some of the unregistered visitor activity here on the site was probably them reading this thread and they felt some heat.

The seller is still acting mum about medals not exhibiting the mint edge-stamp.  95% of these are coming out of WAG/WAG-O.  This guy is just another outlet to sell these after strikes.
    • Treasure Coast Coins
  • I luv Goetz's work and whenever I offer select medals for sale on my ebay site, treasure coast coins. I have bought most of my pieces from WAG. Is there a concern about the authenticity of these items.
    Thank YOyu
Goetz Medals on ebay
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 11:57:42 AM »
I luv Goetz's work and whenever I offer select medals for sale on my ebay site, treasure coast coins. I have bought most of my pieces from WAG. Is there a concern about the authenticity of these items.
Thank YOyu
Re: Goetz Medals on ebay
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2019, 12:54:11 PM »
I luv Goetz's work and whenever I offer select medals for sale on my ebay site, treasure coast coins. I have bought most of my pieces from WAG. Is there a concern about the authenticity of these items.
Thank YOyu

You need to read this thread.  https://secessionistmedals.com/index.php?topic=5.0