Author Topic: Last Goetz Die/Hub Auction  (Read 8250 times)

• Global Moderator
    • KarlGoetz.com
  • Has anyone heard when this last session will occur?  I thought it was supposed to be next month, April, but I have been unable to find out information about it on the Heritage web site.

I'm going to assume that the 'rarer' WWII material should be offered.  That is, the material that hasn't been cherry-picked by the consignee already.
Last Goetz Die/Hub Auction
« on: March 16, 2014, 12:10:35 PM »
Has anyone heard when this last session will occur?  I thought it was supposed to be next month, April, but I have been unable to find out information about it on the Heritage web site.

I'm going to assume that the 'rarer' WWII material should be offered.  That is, the material that hasn't been cherry-picked by the consignee already.
  • Global Moderator
    • KarlGoetz.com
  • I received word today from Michael Peplinski at Heritage that the consignor has pulled the consignment containing the remainder of the hubs and dies and had them shipped back to Germany.  It was assumed this was done due to the soft interest during the second stage of the sale in September.

I will attempt to make contact with the consignors and see if they have images that can be used for documentation for the remainder of these pieces.  I have captured all the images from the first two auctions for collectors to use for comparative analysis and would hate to miss out on this last batch that would contain most of the WWII medal dies and hubs.
Re: Last Goetz Die/Hub Auction
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 10:20:27 PM »
I received word today from Michael Peplinski at Heritage that the consignor has pulled the consignment containing the remainder of the hubs and dies and had them shipped back to Germany.  It was assumed this was done due to the soft interest during the second stage of the sale in September.

I will attempt to make contact with the consignors and see if they have images that can be used for documentation for the remainder of these pieces.  I have captured all the images from the first two auctions for collectors to use for comparative analysis and would hate to miss out on this last batch that would contain most of the WWII medal dies and hubs.
  • I've never met a neck I didn't like.
  • I found a site for Dirk Loebbers where the K-262 dies or hubs were for sale.  This was just in the past week but they are no longer there.  If you go to Loebbers area on the MA coins web site he has three or four other sets of dies for sale too.  Since the K-262 dies weren't sold by Heritage could we assume that Loebbers was the consignor/owner?  He is also co-owner of WAG (the company selling multiples of struck, silver, 36mm Goetz medals that don't have the requisite BHM edge marks, restrikes). 

I find this suspect since any possible analysis to compare the dies removed from the Heritage sale with the restrikes is not possible now.  Could this be his CYA moment?  Granted, he is asking far higher prices than he would have gotten selling through Heritage.  Am I sucking on the wrong neck?   
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 04:56:31 PM »
I found a site for Dirk Loebbers where the K-262 dies or hubs were for sale.  This was just in the past week but they are no longer there.  If you go to Loebbers area on the MA coins web site he has three or four other sets of dies for sale too.  Since the K-262 dies weren't sold by Heritage could we assume that Loebbers was the consignor/owner?  He is also co-owner of WAG (the company selling multiples of struck, silver, 36mm Goetz medals that don't have the requisite BHM edge marks, restrikes). 

I find this suspect since any possible analysis to compare the dies removed from the Heritage sale with the restrikes is not possible now.  Could this be his CYA moment?  Granted, he is asking far higher prices than he would have gotten selling through Heritage.  Am I sucking on the wrong neck?   
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 03:14:32 PM »
I was just directed to this http://www.numismaticnews.net/article/news/general/goetz-hubs-in-auction?et_mid=683108&rid=238176646 sale information regarding 800 Goetz hubs going up for auction by the Goldberg's for the Pre-Long Beach show on January 25-28, 2015.

It's interesting that there are no dies, and also interesting that the Goldberg's would state that these hubs are 'still usable'.